CELEBRATING 75 YEARS IN 2020!
The Pickaway County Fair: Honoring the Heritage...
The first Pickaway County Fair was held October 15, 1834. A period of twenty years went by before another fair was held, and then in 1893 a new fair was organized, which took place for 3 years.
The Pickaway County Agricultural Society was formed in 1944. In November 1944 the current location of the fairgrounds was purchased. The fair as we know it today has
been held annually since 1945.
Prior to 1945, junior fair exhibitors displayed their miscellaneous projects at the Armory and during the Pumpkin Show. Livestock were displayed in a tent behind the Armory.
The 1945 Pickaway County Fair featured an amateur horse show, amateur races for junior pony, bicycle and scooter enthusiasts. Exhibits included beef and milk cattle, poultry, sheep, swine, farm produce, farm equipment, needlework, canning, and preserving.
In 1946, one building was built and housed junior fair exhibits. Livestock were displayed in tents. A half-mile track was built. The fair took place September 11-14, 1946. There were 462 4-H members and 45 advisors that participated in the fair that year. Attractions included a fireworks display, circus, harness races, open livestock exhibits, horse and pony show, and 4-H and FFA displays. Admission was $.40 for 12 and over. A fair membership was $2.
In 1947, the Coliseum was built by Raymond Rader, a Circleville contractor, for $80,000.
In July 1948, the Pickaway County Harness Club was formed. John Fissell was a key contributor in raising funds to build the Grandstand. He organized harness matinees each spring as fundraisers.